Remote Work Malaysia was founded in May of 2023, and I’ve been engaged in the community ever since.
One thing I’ve always enjoyed was organising information, so I wanted to organise some of the useful information for this group, hopefully for the benefit of everybody out there.
As it stands, this post is a collection of useful links, but in the future I hope it can grow together with the group. Expect the structure of this page to be changed every now and then as I organise things. As some of the content grows, I might combine them into individual posts.
Important note: While I also help out by administering the group, the content and views on this post are my personal views.
Table of Contents
- Start here: useful links
- Cafes that are friendly to remote work
- Useful discussion topics
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Start here: useful links
- Group rules. Please take a moment to read this, and do pay particular attention to rule #3 regarding promotions.
- Where to find remote work.
- 7 tips for getting a good remote job.
- How to spot scams.
Cafes that are friendly to remote work
If you contribute by adding a listing, please do try to include the following information
- Size of cafe
- Is there power plug?
- Is the background music loud?
- Is it crowded?
- (if any) Charges for usage of space
- Any special characteristics of this space
Useful discussion topics
- How to deal with Internet and power outages in remote work.
- Zulhairey Rahman’s sharing and discussion of working remotely. The direct link to the interview is here.
- Inspiration: Working from the outdoors.
- Which power banks are suitable when working from the outdoors.
- Will marital status or gaps in your resume will affect your chances of landing work.
- Is it possible to do two jobs remotely?
- Options for an American who is going to work in Malaysia remotely.
If there are any upcoming events, I might list them here. That being said, we’ve already met up twice on the events below.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
It’s probably important to add another reminder here that these answers are from my personal view and understanding of the group as an individual member. It’s not meant as an official guideline. For the official rules, please refer to the group rules.
Where can I find remote work?
This is the most common question I see. I’ve repeated it here because it’s asked so often. I’ve created a list that will hopefully help you find remote work.
Can I post my skills and work history and look opportunities in the group?
Please do check out the group rules. In short, you’re only allowed to do so on the occasion when the administrator posts a special post allowing it.
- #KerjaKhamis post is for everybody to share their skills
- #MarketplaceMonday post is where everybody is allowed to promote and market themselves, their company, and products etc (just like a normal marketplace).
Can I list job openings?
Please do check out the group rules.
You’re only allowed to do so on the occasion when the administrator posts a #MarketplaceMonday post where everybody is allowed to promote and market themselves, their company, and products etc (just like a normal marketplace).
I’m from a company, may we sponsor or collaborate in some way?
Collaborations are always welcome. I’d suggest you drop a message to the group’s owner and explore from there.
Can I help out?
The group is always open to receiving additional help. If you’re looking to help moderate the group or contribute in some other way, I’d suggest you drop a message to the group’s owner.
I hope you find this resource useful. If you have any comments or suggestions on this page, feel free to contact me.
If you want to give a suggestion about the group, I’d suggest you drop a message to the group’s owner.